Sports Premium Funding
What it Sports Premium Funding?
Following the success of the London 2012 Olympics, the government has chosen to invest in Primary School Physical Education and School Sport for three years, (2013-14, 2014-15 and 2015-16). The aim was to provide a lasting legacy from the games and develop children's enjoyment of sport and physical activity from an early age. In 2015-16 the funding was extended for a further three years.
They have done this by offering each primary school £8000 plus £5 per pupil to be spent in any way the school thinks best to improve the teaching and learning of PE and School Sport in their individual school. This funding is ring fenced and schools must be transparent in how they spend this funding.
How we are using it at Therfield First School?
Sport is an important part of our school curriculum and excellence and enjoyment in sport participation supports children's academic progress, social skills and well-being. We are very excited about the opportunities this funding presents to us and work closely with North East Hertfordshire School Sports Partnership and other external specialist agencies. Together we have put in place programmes of learning, coaching sessions for our staff and a local network of competitions for a variety of sports.
Funding has been used to:
- ensure that children have the most qualified teachers, instructors and coaches during their P.E. lessons
- increase the range of in-school and extra-curricular activities available to all pupils
- Provide inclusive opportunities for children to learn and develop skills in more unusual sporting activities
- promote a healthy and active lifestyle through the targeted Golden Mile initiative
- provide a Teaching Assistant to support children during PE sessions
- Update and purchase new PE resources